Guide Dogs Singapore Ltd
An inclusive society where every blind and visually impaired person is empowered for independent living.
We are dedicated to help the blind and visually impaired community achieve their fullest potential within the society.
1. Orientation and Mobility (O&M) Training: A rehabilitative programme that teaches our clients the proper use of white cane and other forms of assistive devices, such as talking GPS or mobile phones, while providing emotional and psychological support.
2. Guide Dogs Programme: Clients who show confidence in O&M skills can be matched with guide dogs to further improve their mobility and safety. These guide dogs are trained to assess their surroundings to guide their handlers around safely and more efficiently.
3. Befriender’s Programme: Carefully selected volunteers are trained to provide social support to our clients and encourage them to live active and healthy lives.
4. Activities of Daily Living (ADL) Training: Equipping our clients with daily living skills to allow them to live a self-sufficient life without having to rely on caregivers for their daily needs.
5. Public Outreach: Through education and engagement, we share truths about the blind and visually impaired community and guide dogs to create a greater awareness and understanding for an inclusive society.
Intended use of funds through the YFC 2018 programme
To continue to provide training and support programmes and services to our clients and promote an understanding and inclusive society to communities with special needs. This also includes our goal of working to improve the acceptability and use of service animals like our guide dogs, who bring nothing but safety, convenience, assistance, and love to people who need them.
Engaging and involving the YFC participants
We will invite them for our public outreach talks, so that they can engage with our clients, guide dogs and have a better understanding of them. In addition, we will get the YFC participants to undergo simulation activities so that they can also understand the challenges of our clients and how they can overcome it. We hope for YFC participants to develop empathy for people who have a greater need for assistance in their daily lives, and throughout their own lives, working towards the betterment of society at large.